March/April 2017 Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
Career Opportunities - Opportunity Details
« Return to Listing
Staff Accountant » Apply Online
The Staff Accountant’s primary responsibility is to support the Controller through preparing and posting journal entries, reconciling and auditing accounts, providing analysis, and preparing 1099 and 1042 forms. Additionally, the Accountant will be deeply involved in maintenance of the royalty accounting system, compliance, semi-annual royalty reporting and payments, and responding to author inquiries.
- Prepare and post journal entries, reconcile accounts, and perform audits on GL, AP, and AR accounts.
- Monitor and review daily credit card activity and communicate any errors or differences.
- Perform cyclical sales analysis for management.
- Create sales reports for the financial statements, as well as perform a variety of ad hoc reports and analysis upon request.
- Maintain royalty system by entering new and updated royalty contract information, and running the monthly process.
- Perform royalty system audits to ensure compliance with author contracts.
- Record and track author royalty advances.
- Prepare, review, and mail royalty statements and applicable payments to authors and agents.
- Maintain Subsidiary Rights contracts in royalty system.
- Prepare 1099s and 1042s for authors and vendors, and work with IT department on IRS filings.
- Actively communicate with authors regarding royalty inquiries and prepare reports for authors upon request or as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- 2-5 years of progressive accounting work experience.
- Must be highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data.
- Must be able to apply general accounting principles.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to maintain positive relations with a variety of audiences.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details and processes.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team.
- Ability and willingness to work additional hours when necessary, especially when approaching important deadlines.
- Basic understanding of royalty accounting practices is helpful.