1. Your new book is The Book of Crystal Spells: Magical Uses for Stones, Crystals, Minerals…And Even Sand. What inspired this book?
This book was inspired by my love of working with stones. I wanted to write a different kind of crystal booknot a book of healing or a reference book, but a way to use stones for magic in creative ways. In addition, I enjoy writing spells and working with a variety of materials, so I wanted to include spells that utilize glass and sand as well.
2. Your previous book was Magical Candle Crafting; do you always include crafts of some sort in your magical Craft?
Yes, I try to use personal crafts in my magical practice whenever possible. I always use hand-crafted candles, and often handmade jewelry as well. I believe the personal touch is essentialit makes the magic stronger. In crystal magic sometimes it's harder to include a handcrafted item, and that's why I enjoy creating grids. The act of placing stones or drawing in sand is an act of creating something, which helps the mind focus on the spell's intent.
3. Do crystals, stones, and gems need to be imbued with magic prior to use, or does each have its own, inherent magical properties?
I believe each stone has a kind of "personality" or specific characteristics, but it's best to charge or dedicate a stone for magical intent. I believe stones have the magic we empower them withthey have certain qualities that we can enhance with visualization. But, they don't do the work for usrather, they're tools. Like any type of tool, a screwdriver or hammer for example, some stones are better suited for particular "work" than others; they're more in tune with specific goals. And, like tools, anyone can use them, but they function more efficiently in skilled hands. That's why cleansing, charging, and dedicating is important; we need to learn how to use the tools to get the best results.
4. The Book of Crystal Spells also includes several crystal grids for advanced crystal magic, for things like prosperity, intuition, or fertility. Are these reserved for the more advanced practitioners, or can beginners like myself try them as well?
Beginners can definitely use these spells. I like to think of them as "advanced" since they are more complex than other types of crystal spells that only involve a few stones or have a more simple focus. These spells take more time to construct and may require more concentration on the part of the user, but anyone can do them.
5. What do you hope readers will take away from The Book of Crystal Spells?
I hope readers will discover new ways to use stones and, perhaps, even become collectors of minerals. There's so much to learn about the science of crystals and this is a great way to learn more about our world.