Art Department Manager » Apply Online
The Art Department Manager plans, directs, and coordinates all activities of the art department. Responsible for overseeing the design of all book covers, book interiors, card products and packaging, and annuals (calendars, datebooks, almanacs) in conjunction with internal departments.
· Management of Art Department design and staff leadership, including workload management, performance appraisals, project assignments (cover designers), and other related tasks.
· Prepare and implement departmental budget and art-related budgets for all projects.
· Oversee cover and packaging development process, assisting with brainstorming, ideation, review, and presentation processes.
· Consult with staff on deck-related projects, evaluating artists and assisting with author/artist/designer liaison.
· Manage outside vendors and resources (color correction, printers, etc.). Monitor costs and processes as needed to meet schedule and budgetary requirements.
· Monitor hiring and contracting of interior illustration resources, working with internal staff and external resources as needed. Develop artist network and resources to ensure products meet company objectives.
· Track art costs on projects, maintain vendor payment systems for artists, artist representatives, and other vendors to ensure project requirements, budgets, and deadlines are met..
· Assist in new product development as needed. Advise staff on artistic requirements, limitations, budgets, etc.
· Oversee book interior design process, reviewing designs as needed, advising on interior art required to complete projects.
· Ensure quality requirements for printed materials are met by collaborating with internal staff and external vendors. Review printed products prior to approval for sale.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· 5 years of managerial leadership experience including performance management, staffing, budgeting, and workload management.
· 5 or more years experience in art direction, 4C print production, and related technologies.
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
· Ongoing knowledge of publishing industry, audience requirements, and production processes.
· Experience in assessing, critiquing, and direct graphic designs of staff and external resources.
· Ability to work diplomatically with individuals at all levels of the organization.